Top 10 Reasons People Miss a Workout (and How to Handle Them)
- You hate exercise
This is certainly the one that I can relate to! While I ultimately love the feeling in my body and mind after I complete a tough physical challenge, the actual experience? I used to find myself hating every moment of it, from the anticipation (dread) to the lactic acid burning my muscles to the shower at the end. That said, I found that I didn’t hate exercise – I hate certain types of exercise! If this is you, ask a trainer to help to find some offbeat exercises that you can enjoy – PowerHoop, spin classes and even using the elliptical while watching reality TV.
- You did too much too soon
Yeah! You made it, and you went to the gym 10 days in a row and killed it each time. You worked out to the max and pushed your limits… and now you’re overwhelmed and exhausted. When you start your work out regimen, you need to take it slow and give your body time to recover in between gym visits.
- Money is tight We have all been there – your budget is straining to accommodate your gym dues. First of all, 24/7 Fitness offers many different affordable membership schemes that suit any budget. Still struggling? Look for other places you can cut costs – your health is worth it.
- You’ve been working out, but aren’t seeing any changes in your body
Again, I can relate! When I work out, I always want to see the changes right away! But our bodies don’t always work that way, and change takes time. Focus on ‘non-scale victories’ such as a pair of trousers fitting with ease, being able to carry your groceries with less strain and having more energy over all.
- You’re not sure what you’re doing in the gym
When you start a new hobby or a new job, you don’t expect to know everything right away, so why would you put that pressure on yourself with the gym? It takes time to learn the ropes, but staff and trainers are always on hand to help.
- Your motivation is flagging
Whenever you find your motivation is taking a dip, remind yourself of all of the reasons that you started working out in the first place. Do you want to feel better about your body? Do you want to improve your over all health and fitness? When you just can’t go on, lean on friends or family members to help give you the boost you need to get back in there.
- Your schedule is already rammed full
You're balancing work, hobbies, family life and social time – and it seems impossible to add the gym to your already packed schedule!? This is such an important aspect of your health, so even if you can only carve out 30 minutes 3 times a week, you can make a huge difference in your life. 24/7 Fitness is open all the time, so you can fit it in whenever you have a few extra minutes in your life.
- Your muscles and bones hurt!
It is natural for your body to ache when you start a new work out regime, and so you should treat yourself to a massage or a soak in the tub. However, if you are feeling any sharp pains, you need to seek the advice of a trainer in order to ensure you are not doing any damage.
- You’re not great at sticking to your commitment
We’ve all been here, too. Starting a new hobby or a routine, but then faltering after a few months and starting to flag. When you feel like you can’t commit, remind yourself of why you started going in the first place. Ask a trainer to help you switch things up so that your commitment feels fresh and exciting!
- You'd rather do something else To start with, most people do. It's hard, it's sweaty, it's a hell of a lot easier to sit on the sofa with Netflix and a pizza. But you know what? That feeling you get after a workout is SO much better than the feeling you get after a Domino's, it lasts longer, and it's mental as well as physical. Regular exercise will make you feel better, that is a fact (thanks science) and while everyone has off days (me included) it's better to make it a habit.
If you started reading this with a list of reasons for not going to the gym later I hope this has reminded you of all the benefits of doing that workout and given you counter arguments for all of those reasons!
Why are fewer women joining the gym?
There has been a noticeable decline in the number of women joining the gym in the last 12 months. Not just at 24/7 Fitness, we are hearing the same thing across the entire industry. The question is why? I googled it expecting to find a new t...
How To Get Over Gym Anxiety
How To Get Over Gym Anxiety Gym anxiety is something we all know too well. Whether you are an avid go-er or a first time starter, it is important to remember - along with everything else in life - to not let your fears stand in the way of acc...